The City of Los Angeles has the highest rate of vehicle related accidents in the United States. With a population of over 18.5 million people in the greater Los Angeles area, and an influx of business visitors and tourists, it is very easy to understand how so many accidents can occur in this area.
Add to this fact that LA has some of the most diverse traffic and complicated road systems in the country and each accommodate vehicle, bicycle and foot traffic. LA never sleeps, and this traffic can be experienced at any time of the day or night.
Recent statistics show that over 29,000 accidents occurred in Los Angeles that involved a death or injury in 2013. While a majority of these accidents involved two or more vehicles, there were a significant amount of events that occurred outside of this parameter. Understanding what types of accidents occur in this area will help people stay safer when traveling through LA.
Accident Statistics For Los Angeles
According to the most recent study (2013), the rate of accidents in Los Angeles for events outside of vehicular accidents involving two or more vehicles show:
• Pedestrians were at the highest risk in LA. Almost 2,900 serious accidents occurred in 2013 that involved and injury or death with a vehicle and a pedestrian.
• Bicyclists came in second place for highest risk with over 2,300 serious accidents registered during this time.
• Motorcycle drivers came in third with a little over 1,200 accidents occurring in LA during 2013
Of these three accident types, almost 2,400 of these accidents involved one of the parties under the influence of alcohol.
In vehicle related accidents involving two or more cars or trucks, the following statistics are quite startling.
• 3,600 accidents occurred between two or more vehicles due to excessive speed.
• Over 2,800 accidents happened between the hours of 9:00pm and 3:00am
• Over 3,100 accidents resulting in death or injury were caused by a Hit-and-Run driver
When You Have Been Involved In A Vehicle Related Accident In Los Angeles
When you are involved in any type of vehicular accident in LA, it is important that you take the following steps.
• Notify emergency services. You need to make sure that the accident has been reported to the police. The police report will contain key information about the event and will be relevant to your case if you seek compensation.
• Get immediate medical treatment. Regardless of how minor your injuries may seem, you should be medically evaluated at the time of the event. A headache may not be from the stress of the accident, it may be a concussion or a sign of another injury. Being medically evaluated will protect your health.
• Speak to an attorney. Once your health and injuries have been stabilized, it is important to contact an attorney. Dealing with insurance companies can be quite complicated. Protect your rights as the injured party and talk to an attorney about your case.
If you have been injured, or you have lost a loved one, due to any type of vehicular accident in Los Angeles, you are encouraged to speak with an attorney about your rights to seek compensation. California law provides certain rights to accident victims that will allow them to seek compensation for their injuries and losses.
Importance of Hiring A Quality Los Angeles Accident Lawyer
By working with an attorney, you will avoid the mishaps that are often experienced when dealing with an insurance company during the claim process. Your lawyer will make sure that the insurer complies with state law and the terms of their insurance policy to provide you with a fair and complete form of compensation for your losses.
California Office of Traffic Safety (2013), OTS Collision Rankings