Steven M. SweatPrincipal Attorney
When it comes to helping people, Steven M. Sweat, can't think of any better profession with an opportunity to improve lives than the practice of law.
"I view myself as a creative problem solver. No one wakes up in the morning thinking I'm going to be in a car accident today or hurt on the job but, these unfortunate instances happen to good people everyday. It's my job to turn the situation around and get people through these tough times."
In his practice, Steven focuses on personal injury, wrongful death and employment matters. For over 20 years, this has been his main focus. His experience, expertise and willingness to go the extra mile has earned him many awards and accolades in these past two decades including the following:
- Super Lawyer - Category: Plaintiff's Personal Injury: Bestowed by Thomson Reuters News Service and Los Angeles Magazine, the "Super Lawyer" designation is an honor given to less than 5% of attorneys practicing in the State of California. The selection process involves nominations from attorneys, judges and others in the legal profession who attest to the expertise and reputation of the lawyer. Thereafter, an intense vetting process takes place whereby an attorney's background, history and credentials are scrutinized. It is meant to be a legitimate way to recognize excellent legal practitioners in various fields. Steven was originally designated a "Super Lawyer" in 2012 and has been provided this honor every year since then.
- National Trial Lawyers Top 100: The National Trial Lawyers is a nationwide organization made up of some of the best trial attorneys in the United States. This honor recognizes significant achievement by lawyers practicing personal injury law. Criteria for membership includes proving a consistent track record of success in obtaining settlements and verdicts in personal injury and wrongful death claims.
- Multi-Million Dollar Advocates Forum: This award recognizes attorneys who have obtained million dollar plus settlements and verdicts on a consistent basis.
- The Litigator Awards: This accolade highlights attorneys from around the country that are serious litigators who have a proven track record of litigation resulting in significant settlements and jury verdicts.
- Best Attorneys of America: This citation recognizes excellence in the legal profession for lawyers around the United States.
- Ethical Lawyers of America: Unfortunately, the "barrel" of the legal profession is sometimes spoiled by "bad apples". No one should ever bet he victims on an unscrupulous lawyer. Ethical Lawyers of America is an organization that strives to do background investigations on attorneys to assure that they are providing, "distinguished ethical practice in the legal profession."
Steven was born to working class parents who taught him the value of honesty, integrity and work ethic. Steven paid his own way through college and law school by waiting tables, working in factories, doing door to door sales, and various other tasks that help give him diligence and perseverance.
After graduating Florida State University with honors, Steven decided to move to the West Coast for law school. He completed his law degree in less than the standard three years and immediately began representing ordinary people in personal injury and wrongful death claims.
"I never wanted to be a guy that represents big companies. I wanted to be someone who was a champion for the 'little guy'. I wanted to be a David to the Goliath of corporate interests like insurance companies looking to short change people with legitimate claims."
Steven worked for almost four years as an associate attorney in various private practice settings. Then he decided to "hang his shingle" and started his own law practice in 1999. Starting with very little capital, he began his own practice by getting business from friends and colleagues and agreeing to try cases others were afraid to tackle.
"It was very hard in the beginning of my practice. I once agreed to do a jury trial on less than one day's notice. I was determined to do anything I could to gain the experience I would need."
The Law Offices of Steven M. Sweat slowly but surely began to grow. It is now a practice that has been recognized nationwide as a proven winner. For over 20 years, the firm has been obtaining great results for people injured in auto accidents, slip and falls, assault and abuse and many other types of scenarios.
Steven is backed up by a team of attorneys with decades of experience representing injured persons and the families of wrongful death victims. This team of lawyers has won practically every award possible and held positions with every organization in California and the U.S. that supports the rights of consumers to seek justice in our civil court systems. While no lawyer should guarantee future results based upon past success, this legal dream team has jury verdicts and settlements in the hundreds of millions of dollars over the past two decades. We cannot guarantee the result of any case but, we do guarantee that no law firm in the State of California will fight harder or achieve a better result!
J.D., California Western School of Law, 1995
B.S., International Relations and Affairs, Florida State University, 1992
Academic Scholarship: Southern Scholarship Foundation; Dean's List: 4 consecutive semesters; Cum Laude graduate
Los Angeles County Bar Association
Member Since: 1998
American Bar Association
Member Since: 1998
Consumer Attorneys of Los Angeles
Consumer Attorneys of California
American Association for Justice
California Employment Law Association