Funeral home negligence claims in California occur more often than one might think. Losing a loved one is always difficult and grieving families should be able to choose a funeral home with the confidence that their family member’s remains will be handled appropriately and with respect. Unfortunately, funeral homes can make negligent errors or even act intentionally to mishandle remains or otherwise harm the family that hired them. In such situations, families who hired a funeral home for support and assistance end up with substantial financial and emotional injuries.
Common types of funeral home negligence
Funeral home can take many forms, including:
- Not properly storing a body
- Not properly embalming a body
- Losing a body or ashes
- Cremating the incorrect body
- Burying the incorrect body
- Burial in the incorrect plot
- Stealing fillings, jewelry, or other valuables
- Harvesting and selling organs
- Commingling body parts
- Dropping a body
- Abuse of a corpse
- Financial abuse of the family members
- Misappropriation of payments
- Violating the Funeral Rule1 or state law
A funeral home should understand how important proper handling of remains will be to family members and they should be held accountable if negligence occurs.
We can help you recover for your losses
When any type of funeral home negligence occurs, the family members can recover for the following:
- Economic losses for expenses regarding payment of services, psychiatric treatment required, and more.
- Pain and suffering, emotional distress, and mental anguish.
- Punitive damages if the funeral home’s actions or omissions were particularly egregious or reprehensible.
Funeral home cases often have unique circumstances and legal issues, so you want an attorney with particular knowledge of funeral home negligence in California.
An experienced funeral home negligence attorney in Los Angeles, California
At Steven M. Sweat, Personal Injury Lawyers, APC, we understand the emotional impact caused by mishandling of your loved one’s remains and we will seek to hold a negligent funeral home liable to the full extent allowed under the law. You have already gone through a lot and we always strive to handle your case in the most efficient and stress-free way possible for you, so that you can focus on your emotional recovery and well-being. Please call our office at 866-966-5240 for a free consultation today.