What Qualities Should I Look for in a Personal Injury Attorney?
March 25, 2014
Five qualities of top personal injury attorneys in California and elsewhere, in my opinion, as an accident lawyer with a solid reputation and over 18 years experience litigating injury and wrongful death claims are as follows:
- Honesty: Hiring legal counsel following a catastrophic injury or death of a loved one is not something that should be taken lightly. It is a relationship that should be built on trust and that trust begins with the very first interactions that a prospective client has with potential legal counsel. Lawyers who send “personal representatives” to your home or hospital unsolicited by you or who make grandiose or unsubstantiated promises about your case, are not being honest with you. This dishonesty can and will spill over into the life of the representation. Hiring an honest attorney is crucial to obtaining just and fair recovery. Having a lawyer that shoots straight and tells you the good and the bad aspects of the claim and gives you a realistic picture of the potential value of the claim and the length of time it will take to resolve is key to a just and fair resolution of your claims.
- Compassion: Without compassion, an attorney is simply in the business of making money. Compassion is the key component to being in the business of helping people take bad situations and make them better. Compassion comes from many places but, a lawyer with life experiences same or similar to yours can make all the difference. People who have seen injury and death firsthand and know the toll that it takes on people’s lives and the lives of the families who care for these injury victims or who have lost loved ones make the best personal injury attorneys, in my opinion.
- Creativity: Lawyers too often analyze situations based upon preconceived notions of what a “good case” looks like. The better lawyers see past obstacles to recovery and can think of creative ways to establish liability, find parties who should be held accountable for negligent or intentional acts of wrongdoing, and find sources of payment to compensate the victim.
- Tenacity: A quality personal injury lawyer must have a “never say die” attitude when it comes to advocating on behalf of his clients. That attorney cannot take no for an answer and must persist in the face of adversity time and time again until the case is resolved in his or her client’s favor.
- Personal Attention: If a client is just a number and one of thousands of files, full reasonable compensation will never be achieved. There are far too many “settlement mills in California and elsewhere in the U.S. Personal injury law firms that take in thousands of files, leave the “work up” of these files to non-lawyers, and simply try to “take what they can get” and move on.
- Honesty: Our philosophy is to always provide our clients with clear, honest legal advice about their claims. Our attorneys have a combined 40 plus years of experience in representing accident victims and their families. We have seen thousands of different types of claims and know exactly why claims succeed or fail. We express this analysis to each and every client so that they have a realistic picture of both the value of their claim and the process involved in seeing the claim to its rightful conclusion.
- Compassion: All of our attorneys have seen firsthand the toll that is exacted upon individuals and their families from the negligent and wrongful acts of others. We have helped victims of sexual assault, motor vehicle collisions involving drunk drivers, and many other scenarios that have torn the heart out of families. We have seen firsthand the emotional toll this causes and we have combated the often callous attitude of insurance adjusters and others as to how to value this pain.
- Creativity: Our law firm has taken cases that were rejected by other attorneys who could not see around the obstacles to recovery. We take pride in analyzing each and every situation to determine all possible avenues that can be taken to obtain monetary compensation for any personal injury or wrongful death claim.
- Tenacity: Each and every lawyer that works for our firm comes from a background of hardship. We were not born with “silver spoons in our mouths”. We struggled to pull ourselves up by our bootstraps to become lawyers and, because of that, we understand what it means to persevere. While some of our cases resolve fairly quickly, many more have taken years of hard fought litigation to get to the point where someone finally admitted to negligence or wrongdoing despite repeated prior denials of responsibility.
- Personal Attention: From the very first phone call to our office, you will be speaking with an attorney. While we have support staff who assist our lawyers, we pride ourselves on multiple lawyers having personal involvement with each and every person we represent.
If this is the type of law firm you would like to assist you with your own personal injury claim, the accident claims of any of your loved ones or the wrongful death of a spouse or child and the incident occurred anywhere in California, please call us toll free at 866-252-0735 or 323-944-0993.
Steven M. Sweat, APC
Los Angeles personal injury attorneys assisting children injured in pedestrian accidents.
5757 Wilshire Blvd., Suite 450
Los Angeles, CA
Palmdale/Lancaster (Antelope Valley), Glendale (serving Burbank and Pasadena), West Covina (Serving the San Gabriel Valley), Ontario CA (serving Riverside/San Bernardino and the Inland Empire), Huntington Beach (serving Orange County, CA) and Chula Vista (serving San Diego)