How Long Does it Take to Settle a Claim After an Automobile Accident?
According to the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, there were 1,057 California traffic fatalities in 2014 involving passenger cars. Of the 3,074 total traffic fatalities  , 1,844 involved single vehicle accidents and 802 fatal collisions occurred in intersections.
After being involved in an automobile accident, it is natural to wonder how long it might take to settle a claim. Unfortunately, there is no one single answer or time frame that applies to all car accident cases because each case has unique aspects that affect how long the settlement process will take.Reaching a Settlement in California
There are many factors that can affect the time frame for reaching a settlement and not all factors are applicable to every case:
- Medical Treatment: In many instances it is necessary to complete medical treatment prior to discussing a settlement of the case depending upon the nature and severity of the injuries. In some cases, a single payment is made by the insurance company making it important to know the full extent of a person’s injuries and required treatment before reaching a settlement.
- Insurance: Each insurance company works differently. The particular insurance company involved in your case, as well as the type of policy involved, can affect the length of time to obtain a settlement.
- Witnesses: It may be necessary to locate and interview witnesses.
- Experts: Based upon the facts of the case, it may be necessary to hire and work with experts.
- Civil Case: In some instances it is necessary to file a civil complaint before a settlement is reached. This process can be lengthy based upon the complexity of the case as well as other factors. According to the American Bar Association  , in 2013, California joined the list of states requiring a demand within policy limits to trigger an insurer’s duty to settle.
Because the anticipated time frame for reaching a settlement after an automobile collision is specific to the accident, it is important to speak with an experienced attorney who can discuss the exact facts of your case as well as the nature of your injuries. If you have been involved in a California collision, call the Steven M. Sweat, Personal Injury Lawyers, APC, APC, Statewide at our toll free number: 866-966-5240. Consultations are always free and we never charge a fee until we recover money for the victim.References: