Five Steps to Take After a Los Angeles Auto Accident
There are certainly more than five steps to take after a Los Angeles auto accident but, here are five useful things to remember. The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration provides that there were 3,074 traffic fatalities in the state of California during 2014. 633 of those fatalities occurred in Los Angeles County  alone.
If you are involved in an automobile accident, you may have injuries along with some or all of your passengers. During stressful times like this, it is difficult to remember what steps to take immediately after a collision occurs.What Should You Do After a California Collision?
- Safety: After an automobile accident, your vehicle may be damaged or even in the path of traffic. If the accident was relatively minor and the cars are moveable, consider driving your vehicle over to a safe location on the side of the road. If you or anyone at the scene was injured, or if it would be dangerous to move your car, then exit the vehicle as quickly as possible and move to a safe location on the side of the road that is a safe distance away from the accident scene.
- Police: Be sure to call the police for assistance. Even in minor traffic incidents, the police can help to redirect traffic, if necessary, and to prepare accident reports. Depending upon the extent of any injuries, it may also be necessary to request medical attention.
- Exchange Information: Exchange your name and insurance information with any other drivers involved in the collision. You will also want the license plate numbers of any other vehicles. It is not necessary for you to provide any further personal information regarding your home address or your injuries.
- If you are safely able to do so, try and take pictures of the individual cars as well as one of the entire accident scene. Photographs of the damage caused to your vehicle as well as any road debris may be helpful to prove your claims for damage. (see tips on how to document the motor vehicle collision scene and property damage with your smartphone click here).
- Make Calls: After you have received any needed medical treatment, it is important to contact your own insurance company and to provide them with all of the details regarding the collision.
When you need an attorney who will fight for maximum compensation for any car accident claim in California, call the Steven M. Sweat, Personal Injury Lawyers, APC, APC, Statewide at our toll free number: 866-966-5240. Consultations are always free, there are no up front fees or costs, and we never charge a fee until we recover money for you.References